Monday, April 20, 2009

The IBC: Chance for redemption

By Farfel Miller III

As the weeks pass by from the IDES championship, the world grows more anxious for the next AGA major of the year. Well world, your wait is almost up! The Inaugural Bay-Area Championship is one week away. I decided to check up with the top competitors, and peek in on their preparations for next week.

The two favorites to win the IBC next week are Thom Archibald and Chris Archibald, who finished in 4th and 3rd place at the IDES, respectively. Although many players would be content with those finishes, these two stalwart competitors are not.

"I just can't be complacent and happy with where I am at right now, " mused a relaxed Thom, at his Provo training facility. "Sure, the 4th place prize money is great, but I am on this tour to experience the thrill of victory. I haven't been able to sleep since the IDES debacle." Some sportswriters have defended Thom, preferring to refer to the 'debacle' as more of a 'minor letdown'. I fall into that camp, seeing as Thom has set the bar so high for himself, with his ILCRICC successes.

When asked about his chances next week, Thom responded, "I am optimistic about my chances. I finished in a close second at the last IBC, and I am really looking to improve on that finish, which only means that I have to win." Putting such pressure on himself is nothing new for those familiar with Thom and his intensity. The competition next week has been duly warned.

Chris, who finished as runner up to Thom in last year's ILCRICC, and is also the defending IBC champion, described his recent workout plan that he has followed to help his chances next week. "It has been intense. My personal trainer stopped working with several players on the PGA tour and jumped at the opportunity to be involved with a tour of the AGA's prestige. He has really put me through the works, and my body has never been in better shape for a major. I am looking forward to getting out there and competing against the field and the course instead of against my weights and medicine balls!" Once the laughter in the press room subsided, Chris became a bit more stoic. "Seriously though, I will need to play my best with the strength of the field this year. Even with two of the top four AGA tour players skipping this event [Jim and Edward], the field is still stacked with talent. I would be humbled to have the chance of repeating."

The general consensus is that Chris' chances are pretty good, given he can find his way off the tee, which was his big struggle in the IDES. I am putting my money on a Thom and Chris pairing for the last day, which should boost the TV ratings of an already popular tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment