Friday, June 10, 2011

Inaugural Preparation

by Farfel Miller III
June 10, 2011

Stanford, California - I had just gotten into town for the Inaugural, and was down at the driving range for some work on my golf game, when I ran into Chris Archibald, who was undergoing his own preparation for the next AGA Major of the season. He graciously agreed to take a few minutes to chat with me about the IBC and the upcoming weekend. Here is the transcript of our conversation.

Farfel Miller III (FM3) : Great to see you, Chris. How are your preparations coming?

Chris Archibald (CA): They are coming along nicely. I am not sure if anyone ever feels completely ready for a major, but I am pleased with where I am.

FM3: I won't name any names, but some commentators have recently been making a lot of how long it has been since you last won a major. Some even wonder if you will ever win a major again. What is your reaction to these comments?

CA: Well, first of all, I don't spend too much time watching what the commentators say. I am plenty busy with getting myself ready for this tournament. But, I would be lying to say that I haven't had similar thoughts myself. I think a lot of it has been due to my busy schedule. I haven't been able to play in all of the majors that I have wanted to the last several years, and that has hurt my chances, since it is hard to win when you aren't even in the tournament [chuckle]. I am confident that I still have major championships in me, I just need to prepare and put myself in positions to be successful.

FM3: What are your thoughts about Jim Archibald making his first trip out to compete in the Inaugural?

CA: I think it is great for the event. Ticket sales have already been outpacing previous years, and the tournament is attracting attention like never before. I have heard estimates that over 30,000 people will be coming into the area for the tournament weekend. Some are here more for the pageantry and carnival-like atmosphere surrounding the tournament than for the tournament itself, but we welcome all fans, even bandwagon ones. It can only be good for the AGA.

FM3: Besides the effect on fans, what about his presence from the perspective of a fellow competitor?

CA: It makes it tough, certainly. He has been on his game in recent AGA events and really comes in as the favorite, in my opinion. But, I love having all the best players in a tournament, playing their best. It makes a victory that much more meaningful.

FM3: One last topic, before I let you get back to your practice. What are your thoughts on the new course that has been added this year, Half Moon Bay?

CA: I think it is a great course. I know the tournament organizers have been reaching out to local courses for quite some time, looking for good venues that will allow the players to showcase their talents and be able to accommodate the large AGA crowds. The LPGA plays at Half Moon Bay, so that gives us confidence that they are capable of dealing with an event of this magnitude. I really like how the Inaugural organizers spread the tournament around to different courses, and showcase the wealth of good golf courses that the area provides.

FM3: Thanks so much for your time, Chris, it has been nice catching up with you.

CA: My pleasure, Farfel.

FM3: See you at the tournament.

CA: See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment